At the end of my training I spent 3 months in Turin and 18 months in Toronto on a specialized Fellowship in Shoulder & Elbow surgery and Sports Surgery. This gave me particular exposure and experience to minimal access and keyhole surgical techniques and to the exacting demands and expectations of treating elite level athletes.
In 2002 I was appointed as a Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon,specializing in shoulder and elbow surgery, at Addenbooke’s Hospital which is part of the Cambridge University Hospitals Trust. This is a large tertiary referral teaching hospital and a regional major trauma centre. In 2004 I became an Honorary Clinical Fellow of Cambridge University which is a world renowned academic institution.
Prior to going to University I undertook a Short Service Limited Commission in the British Army with the Blues & Royals. I served in the UK, Germany & Canada. REQUEST CONSULTATION
Qualifications and Degrees
- FFSEM (UK), Faculty of Sports and Exercise Medicine, 2007
- DSportMed, Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh 1997
- MB.BS (Barts), University of London 1990
- FRCS (Orth), Royal College of Surgeons of England, 1999
- FRCS, Royal College of Surgeons of England 1994
- British Medical Association
- British Orthopaedic Association
- British Elbow & Shoulder Society
- European Society for Surgery of the Shoulder & Elbow
- Royal College of Surgeons
- British Orthopaedic Sports Trauma Association
- Faculty of Sports & Exercise Medicine
I am particularly interested in the sternoclavicular joint and have pioneered and developed an arthroscopic surgical technique to manage certain conditions. I am also one of a few surgeons who undertake arthroscopic scapulothoracic surgery, mainly for a snapping scapula.
Over time my practice has evolved and, as well as seeing patients with routine shoulder and elbow problems, I also regularly see and operate on complex tertiary referral and revision patients.
I am very interested in sports injuries and see and treat sportsmen of all levels ranging from recreational to elite level athletes. I am the orthopaedic surgeon for the Cambridge University mens and womens Blues Rugby team. REQUEST CONSULTATION
- Honorary Clinical Fellow of Cambridge University
- Actively involved in multiple research studies ... find out more about current research studies
- Published multiple peer reviewed research papers, clinical reviews and book chapters on shoulder and elbow surgery … find out more about articles Research Gate & Google Scholar
- Presented my work at national and international meetings … find out more about scientific presentations
- Organsied and hosted research meetings
- Review scientific articles for the Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery and Elbow Surgery
- Member of the research committee of the British Elbow and Shoulder Society
- Regular teaching commitment to undergraduate, postgraduate and allied health professionals
- On the Faculty for multiple national and international meetings … find out more about faculty meetings
- I am a founder member of the Watanabe Group which organizes and runs arthroscopic shoulder surgery educational and practical training course for orthopaedic surgeons in training and consultants
- Regularly teach and instruct at national and international meetings … find out more
- Regularly undertake ‘live-surgery’ demonstrations at national and international conferences … find out more
- Supervise the training of orthopaedic specialist trainees and run a shoulder fellowship programme